Dec 19, 2017 8:17:00 AM
Oct 3, 2017 8:47:00 AM
As a follow-up to last weeks video we have created a printable graphic with the five essential questions for securing on-time patient payments. We know how important it is to ask the right questions at the right time. Staff members often get stuck when discussing payment with patients. This graphic will give them a place to start and a way to ensure that payment will be made in a timely fashion.
Sep 26, 2017 8:23:00 AM
Ever asked yourself, "What if I knew exactly what to say when talking to a patient about payment? Here's a short video to get you started. Look for more in weeks to come. Enjoy!
Sep 12, 2017 8:43:00 AM
When we talk of risk, one of the first things that often comes to mind is skydiving. The reality is that there's a 0.3% rate of injury for every 1,000 jumps. That could mean anything from a minor scratch to a life threatening injury. The truth is that you are taking more risk on your daily commute. The average driver is more likely to be involved in a fatal car crash than the average sky diver is to get injured. In a similar way, practices think they are taking risks if they talk to their patients about money when, in fact, they are taking a larger risk by not talking to them.
In the same survey I linked to last week (https://revcycleintelligence.com/news/36-of-providers-never-address-patient-financial-responsibility) is a little reported survey statistic. Only 23% of practices ALWAYS discuss payment with their patients. That means the remaining 77% sometimes or never discuss payment. That’s quite a risk.
Aug 9, 2017 8:37:00 AM
This post is the ‘how to’ for last week’s post ‘One Call Collections For Past Due Balances’.
Topics: Credit Card On File, Front Desk Tips, Back Office Tips, Patient Collections, Patient Collections Culture, Patient Centered Practice, healthcare payments, medical practice management, practice management
Aug 1, 2017 9:37:00 AM
Collecting past due balances just got easier. The old way of collecting was an intense amount of work. It looked something like this.
Jul 19, 2017 8:22:00 AM
What do I like about collecting past due accounts?
Really, I can’t think of anything I like about the process of collecting on past due accounts. What about you? Ok, there’s that glimmer of satisfaction when you finally win the phone tag and excuse battle and get a payment in, no matter how small. But that glimmer fades quickly when you look back at your ‘still to collect’ list.
Topics: Credit Card On File, Patient Collections, Patient Collections Culture, medical practice management, Patient Centered Practice, Medical Office Administration, Free Offer, High Deductible Challenge, Medical Billing
Jun 6, 2017 8:43:00 AM
What can we learn from a professional who owned his own primary care practice, has managed over 50,000 patient experiences, and coaches physicians and staff members every day? That was our question when we first met James Riviezzo of Practice On Your Terms.
We soon learned that James has a knack for explaining some of the most complex issues in very simple terms. Beyond that, he has a gift for building easy to follow systems that help practices solve nagging problems.
May 17, 2017 8:23:00 AM
Apr 25, 2017 9:13:00 AM
Sometimes it's best for us to let our customers talk. In this case, one of our customers, Amy Rogers, administrator of Orthopaedics and Rheumatology of the North Shore had not one, but two publications ask her for her story. She implemented a mandatory Card-On-File program in 2015 - her results are worth noting!